How to make Thai Chicken and Galangal Coconut Cream Soup
All Thailand Experiences
Thai Chicken and Galangal Coconut Cream Soup doesn't take long to cook. You can replace the chicken with any meat or seafood. Now you can learn to cook this dish at home using the recipe and online video taught by Chef Chanrat Karatna, nickname Air, and his staff not only how to cook Chicken and Galangal Coconut Cream Soup but about the ingredients.
Watch the Coconut Cream Soup video and take notes.
Thai Chicken and Galangal Coconut Cream Soup
Tom Kha Gai
- ¾ cup chicken stock or plain water
- 200g chicken breast (skinned)
- 10g thinly sliced fresh young galangal
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 6g kaffir lime leaves, stem removed and torn
- 10g red shallots. peeled
- 40g straw mushrooms sliced, substitute with chanterelles or oysters mushrooms torn
- 10 grams or 1 stalk of lemon grass bruised and sliced into 1 inch lengths
- 1 tbsp coriander or cilantro leaves
- 1 coriander root scraped
- 1 - 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 - 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 10g red bird’s eye chilies
In a sauce pan, combine stock or water with coconut cream and coconut milk. Boil over high heat. Add the galangal, lemongrass, red shallots, chilies, coriander root and mushrooms.
Add the chicken and simmer until tender. Add the kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce and lime juice and continue simmering until fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
The soup should be rich and creamy, salty, sour and spicy.